- 2 large purple eggplant
- 3 Tablespoons of red onion, diced
- 15 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
- 8 oz. bag of shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 20 oz. of lean (93/7) ground turkey meat
- 4 oz. of marinara sauce (this is about 1/2 of a regular size jar)
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Slice the eggplant vertically into 1/4-1/2 inch slices (the slices are not circles they are long and rectangular). Add the eggplant slices into a large bowl and drizzle 1/4 cup of olive oil over the top along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir together with your hands so that each piece has some olive oil on it. Heat a non-stick grill pan (or you can use your grill outside) to medium-high heat and place 2-3 eggplant slices on the grill at a time. Each side should take about 3-5 minutes to grill. Repeat with the remaining eggplant slices.
4. In a large bowl, add the 3 tablespoons of diced red onion, 15 oz. container of ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped fresh basil, 1 teaspoon of oregano, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of ground pepper and stir. Add the cooked ground turkey once it is slightly cooled and stir into the cheese mixture until it is well incorporated.