This recipe was inspired by the Pioneer Woman's Taco Pizza. My sister and brother n' law spent the night at our apartment on Friday night since we headed down to College Station bright and early on Saturday morning for the Texas A&M game. When they got to our apartment we decided to cook in since we were going to be eating on the road most of day on Saturday. My sister said they really like to make the Pioneer Woman's taco pizza so that is what we made and it was FABULOUS! YUMMO! So, this week we decided to make something similar to it. We used corn tortillas for the crust and added some ground turkey for a little bit more protein. It ended up being fabulous as well, so we hope you all enjoy just as much as we did!!Ingredients
- 1 package of corn tortillas
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 package of lean ground turkey (93/7)
- 1 small can (1/2 cup) of low-sodium corn, drained
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 bag of shredded lettuce
- 1 container of light sour cream
- 1 jar of mild salsa
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil + more for drizzle
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- Salt and pepper
- 1 package of low-fat mexican cheddar cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a small saucepan, add 1 can of black beans (not drained), 1 teaspoon of ground cumin, and a pinch ground black pepper and bring to a boil. Once they begin to boil, turn the stovetop down to medium-low. With a potato masher, mash the black beans, leaving a few chunks. Continue to simmer (they should be somewhat of a thick consistency). Leave the stove on low until ready to assemble.
2. While the black beans are simmering, add the ground turkey to large non-stick skillet. Season turkey with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, a dash of salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder. Once the meat is cooked through (no longer pink), add the drained corn, diced tomatoes, and chopped cilantro and stir until the mixture is combined. Turn the stove down to low until ready to assemble.
3. Cut about 6-8 corn tortillas into small strips. On a large cookie sheet, add corn tortilla strips, 2 tablespoons of canola oil, salt and pepper. With your hands, combine all the ingredients. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes, flipping half way in between. They should be slightly brown and crispy when they are done. Transfer to a bowl when they are finished cooking.
4. On the same cookie sheet, lay down 2-4 whole corn tortillas (depending on how many people are eating). Drizzle them with canola oil, salt and pepper and bake for about 10-12 minutes, flipping in between until they are crispy. Note: This will be the base for your pizza.
5. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sour cream and 1/2 cup of salsa and stir until combined.
6. To assemble, start with the whole corn tortilla on the bottom and top with smashed black beans, shredded lettuce, turkey mixture, cheese, drizzle of sour cream/salsa mixture, and tortilla strips. Enjoy!!
Here are some pics of the Pioneer Woman's Taco Pizza that we made last weekend.....