- 1/2 cup of quinoa, rinsed
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 zucchini, grated and drained (wrap in a paper towel and squeeze out the water)
- 2 tsp. of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup of plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of ground black pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Whole grain sandwhich thins
- Brown mustard
1. In a small pot, bring 3/4 cup water to a boil. Add quinoa, cover, and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 12-15 minutes and set aside.
2. Add the black beans to a large mixing bowl and mash with a fork (doesn't have to be pureed, just mashed up). Next add the grated carrots, zucchini, garlic, and bread crumbs and stir until all of the ingredients are combined.
3. Place the egg and egg white in a seperate small bowl and whisk together with a fork until smooth. Add the eggs to the large bowl of beans and vegetables and stir. Next add the cooked quinoa and the shredded cheese to the mixture and stir until everything is well incorporated.
4. Next season the mixture with cumin, salt, garlic powder, paprika, and ground pepper. Form the mixture into patties (1/4-1/2 cup of mixture per patty depending on how big you want them). In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add patties. Cook for about 5-8 minutes per side (or until browned).
5. Toast sandwhich thins and add mustard to one half of the bun. Place patty on the bun and enjoy!!
*Recipe adapted from Whole Living*