Oh how I LOVE the smell of pumpkin baking in the oven! It reminds me of the Fall, cold weather, fires, and sweaters! Not only does pumpkin taste amazing but it is very nutritious as well...lots of vitamin A! Whenever I make breads/muffins I try and use half white flour and half whole wheat flour because it usually comes out dry if I use only whole wheat, but with this recipe I used only whole wheat and the muffins turned out amazing!
- 1 2/3 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 cup of canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup of water
- 1/3 cup of cinnamon applesauce
- 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- 2 tsp of chia seeds (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups and spray the cups with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl. Mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated (about 30 seconds).
3. Add the canned pumpkin, water, and applesauce and mix on medium-high speed until the mixture is smooth, without lumps (about 1 minute).
4. Lastly, stir in the chopped walnuts.
5. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes. Poke the middle of the muffin with a toothpick or knife to check if they are finished cooking. If they are done the toothpick should come out clean.
Yield: 12 muffins